Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Big Family

I am so grateful for the family of God. I love that we can pray for each other, comfort each other, care for each other ~ even though we may have very different opinions and ideas. I feel I can be open and honest with my brothers and sisters in Christ ~ no masks, no hiding. It is a beautiful thing. And when we do hurt each other ~ and I think that is inevitible ~ we can talk things through and forgive each other and usually end up with a stronger bond than ever.

And you know what is an even greater blessing? When someone you love in your earthly family is also part of your Christian family ~ it is like a double blessing. Sometimes in our earthly families the only thing we have in common is blood. Unlike "friends" whom you get to choose and with whom you may have LOTS in common. So many times I think earthly family members get hurt or frustrated and decide to walk away. Maybe you don't speak to your brother for years, or never call your mom... But when you add the extra dimension of having Christ in common, that usually seems to change the outcome. With Christ in the midst of the situation, both parties are usually more open to talking things through, working it out, forgiving each other, even agreeing to disagree on some things. And the bond of the "double family" is deeper than ever.

I love being a child of God. I love being part of a huge family. And I love that some of my earthly family have become my double family. I pray that my double family will grow in numbers. What a tremendous blessing. 

No comments: