Thursday, August 7, 2008

Big Government

Smaller, more honest government. On day one of the new presidency, I think the most important issue facing the new president is something other than the war in Iraq or global warming. I think he should begin taking really serious steps to decrease the size and scope of US government, and do away with corruption in politics (which of course would mean taking a long, hard, honest look at himself, whichever one is elected). I believe that if this foundational change was made, a great deal of the other issues would take care of themselves. So much of the government chaos and confusion is due to all the political posturing, everyone for themselves and no one for the good of the nation, and always more taxes so we can increase the size of a fiscally inefficient and irresponsible government instead of honestly evaluating what is working and what is not & cutting what is not before trying something new. Ask the experts who have nothing to gain politically by their answer, and they will tell you that fixing this would take care of most of the other ills of our nation and world - including global warming.

I don't believe this is overly optimistic or "Polyanna" thinking. Seriously. If the new president REALLY cared about America and the world, it has to begin with sincere HONESTY. Really, does anyone believe even half of what they hear out of a politician's mouth? They have a reputation, and for good reason.

And how does it make sense for a nation with the deficit we have to have huge $$ amounts earmarked for projects where it isn't needed, but that money can't be touched for any other project because it IS earmarked. Insanity. They robbed the SS fund for the General Fund, but they can't take from OTHER funds where it actually makes sense.

We see this here in Michigan where I believe I heard (not verified) that our economy as a state is the 2nd worst in the nation! Serious budget deficit, companies and jobs leaving the state in droves because of high taxes, citizens moving out in record numbers because of high costs and no jobs, but we have money set aside in the budget for projects where it isn't needed but can't be touched for anything else. So our politicians think the solution is to RAISE TAXES some more! Who will be left to pay them? How is it that people can get into positions of power with so little knowledge of economics and so little integrity or concern for the people they supposedly represent?

Am I wrong? I welcome your comments.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but welcome to the AMERICAN GOVERNMENT!! This is exactly the kind of thing you get from the Republican leadership that we have had over the last eight years! Before Bush took office, we had the largest surplus in the history of America, and in little more than a matter of a few months, he had taken that surplus and put us back into debt, not only debt, but in the last eight years, we (and our children's children's children) are stuck with the largest national deficit in the history of America. I know our opinions differ when it comes to politics, but from what you are saying in your blog, it seems to me that you are on the wrong side of the political fence. I am not saying that we have a lot of choices when it comes to our next president, but the question must be asked... do you want to continue down the same dead-end path that we have been on for the last eight years, or do you want CHANGE?!!! Me, well, I vote for CHANGE!! I am sick of the downhill slide that our economy has been on, I am sick of all of it!! I am ready for a CHANGE!!! Don't complain about the way the economy and the country is failing unless you are willing to do something to make a change and a difference! John McCain is only going to continue the works of his predecesor should he get into office. I now step down from MY political soapbox. I still love you and hope you feel the same about me! We are the same, yet so different, and yet, I STILL LOVE YOU!! ALWAYS!!! ~Jeannie~

Unknown said...

Well, Jeannie, I am glad you still love me. I still love you too. It is very hard to believe we are on such opposite sides politically. What are your comments on National Healthcare? Just curious. (Also, I know 2 Jeannies. On the blog it doesn't show e-mail address or anything when you check anonymous. So please give some identifyer if you don't mind.) I am new to this blogging thing so I don't understand it all.

Anonymous said...

it is I, your long lost, but then found, niece, back again. It is hard to believe that we are SO very opposite in our political thoughts and beliefs, and that doesn't mean that one of us is more right or more wrong than the other, only different. And to me, diversity, within the country, within families, within the world, is an extremely important foundation to FREEDOM, and what GOD truly had in mind for HIS children! I am back in school now, plus trying to study for the LSAT which is coming up in October, so that I can get into law school next fall (by GOD's amazing grace!), so I really don't have much time for anything else. Forgive me if I don't comment back for a while. Life is like a whirlwind for me lately, and there are days when I just want to get off the wild ride and relax, but then that would be completely against the goals that GOD has put into my heart, and would not stretch me in HIS ways! So, I just keep going, like the energizer bunny, I just keep going, and going, and going. The LORD always recharges my batteries, therefore, I need not worry about burn-out! HE has gotten me this far, and I know and trust that HE would not have put it in my heart, and brought me this far, without bringing me through the fire without a single ash! Praise the LORD, for HE is the greatest gift to us all!!
I love you, and miss you, dearly!