Thursday, September 18, 2008

Habits ~ Good Ones & Bad Ones

This is a quote from another blog I subscribe to:

"Habits are the auto pilot in our lives. If we form good ones we will get good results. Bad ones, likewise, produce results of their own kind... Never underestimate the power of accumulated action over time. Good action can produce staggeringly successful results. Negligent actions can produce catastrophically dire consequences."

I have been taking a look, lately, at my daily habits. I have come to realize I am not a very good steward of my time. I have thought for years I might have a little ADHD goin' on ~ but that is not really a good excuse. (And I don't want to come down with "excusitis" which I have heard can be a debilitating disease!) I would like to have "staggeringly successful results" in my life. Whether it be in the area of Bible study, family, friendships, ministry, finances, business, housekeeping, etc., etc. I am going to take some steps to be more accountable with my time and activities ~ which may mean I post here less, or maybe later at night, so my daytime hours can be spent on other productive activities. My husband says I seem to "spin my wheels" alot. That may have something to do with the ADHD I mentioned earlier, but I do believe that "good habits" can make a big difference here. One good friend suggested deciding up front how much time I want to spend on a given activity, then set a timer and stop when it goes off, then move on to the next activity. We all have the same 24 hours in a day, right? I'd like to get more out of mine. If anyone can relate to this, please leave me a comment. (Or am I all alone in this?)

1 comment:

Ginny @ OrganizingHomelife.com said...

Hi Robin,
You are not alone in the feeling of wanting more out of your "24". I like the idea of setting a timer. Sometimes I get caught up in what I'm doing and time is wasting away and I don't even notice until I feel crunched and out of time. Then I have trouble not believing the lies of Satan that I'm doing a horrible job at everything in my life.

Someone once told me about flylady.com (have you heard of her)? It is really about how to organize your life and keep your house clean, but I find it works in many areas (if I put it into practice :). The idea is to do what is necessary first, and schedule your time. Somehow you wind up having all sorts of time left over. I did it faithfully when Sarah was little and Alyssa was a baby and it worked great. I keep telling myself to do it again, but so far haven't committed myself to it. Maybe tomorrow :)