Tuesday, September 23, 2008

What is Wrong?

Here is something I read recently. "Children need two basic messages when they are growing up: You are loved more than you can possibly imagine, and, You are not the center of the universe. Without the first, a child will grow up insecure, uncertain, looking for love and finding it difficult to believe that he is worthy of being loved, even by God. Without the second, he will grow up selfish and self-centered, assuming that everyone else’s agenda bows to his own. "

Do you know people who fit these two scenarios? Unable to accept love and/or selfish and self-centered? We run into them every day, don't we? I have to admit that for years I fell into the first category. But a large part, maybe the biggest part, of what God "rewrote" in me was this. I have learned, really learned, about God's love and the love of a good husband and close friends. It was not an easy lesson, and sometimes very briefly those old thoughts will try to come back, but I have learned to recognize them as hogwash. Lies from the enemy who is bent on my destruction, or at the very least, bent on keeping me from being effective in my family, friendships and ministry.

What about the second group? Those who are selfish and self-centered, assuming everyone else's agenda bows, or should bow, to their own? Well, I have met some of these. But mostly I read about them or hear about them in the news. Like all the crazy lawsuits ~ your hot coffee burned me so I'll sue; I had an accident in your car so I'll sue; my child failed math so I'll sue; your dog messed in my yard so I'll sue; I broke my leg while breaking in to rob your home so I'll sue... Aren't these examples of this self-centered way of thinking? 

Someone forgot to teach a lot of kids growing up that life isn't fair, and the world owes you nothing ~ not happiness, not wealth, not even food or a job or a home (or healthcare). Pain is inevitible, but misery is optional. Challenges are inevitible, obstacles are inevitible, surprises are inevitible, pain is inevitible! We are free to choose how we handle adversity and challenge. Attitude is the single most determining factor in every decision we will ever make. Success in life is about so much more than money or "happiness". Am I a success in life if I achieve wealth by suing you because I burned myself on your coffee? Or even when I win the lottery? I don't think so. What is success? I think success is being the person God created you to be ~ the very best you. Did God create you to scratch and claw your way to a fortune? No. God created you to know and love and trust Him, to learn who He created you to be, and to learn from Him how to be it. That is success. What epitaph would you want on your tombstone or in the newspaper? Here lies a woman who really clawed her way to the top. I wonder if anyone will miss her. Or... Here lies a godly woman whose life impacted those around her for good. She will be sorely missed.

These are just some of my thoughts today.

By God's oh-so-amazing grace,
Rewritten Princess

No comments: