Thursday, September 25, 2008

My Favorite Scripture

Do you have a favorite Scripture? I have many, many, many favorites, but my #1 favorite is Jeremiah 29:11. In the NIV it says: For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future.

The Lord brought this Scripture to my attention at a time when I desperately needed it, several years ago. It was a time when I was seriously questioning why God allowed the horrors of my childhood. Every time I read this verse, it is almost as though I can hear His voice, see the love and compassion in His eyes, feel the warmth of His love. It says exactly what I needed (and still need) to hear. His plan was never to harm me. The abuse was NOT part of His plan. I am blown away by God's love. Here are two lines from a poem I wrote a while back.

He loved her more deeply than she could believe,
But because of her pain it was hard to receive.

It was hard to receive God's love for a long time. I am so glad He has been patient with me. He never gave up on me, but pursued me with passion and persistence. I have come a long, long way. And I am so blessed to accept and embrace the love of God. Where would I be today without His love? I hate to even think.

I pray that you know His love. It is the most amazing place of rest.

No comments: