Thursday, October 16, 2008

God and Life's Trials

I think my favorite verse of scripture will always be Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV): "For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future." It was a high school girl who showed me this verse when we were together on a short-term missions trip to Russia about 15 or so years ago. I couldn't believe that verse had been there all along, and I had never noticed it before. It has come back to me over and over again and always brings me peace and comfort. We do live in a fallen world, a world at war ~ and I don't mean the war you can see with physical eyes. We live in the midst of a very brutal war raging all around us ~ a war for the souls of man. But ~ here are some things I know to be ABSOLUTELY TRUE.

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV)


When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown! When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. Isaiah 43:2 (NLT)


I will guide you along the best pathway for your life.  I will advise you and watch over you. Psalm 32:8 (NLT)


I will provide their needs before they ask.  I will help them while they are still asking for help. Isaiah 65:24 (NLT)


The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still. Exodus 14:13 (NIV)


God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Psalm 46: 1 (NIV)


Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings.   My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me. Psalm 63: 7-8 (NIV)


I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them. Isaiah 42:16 (NIV)


I could go on and on listing the powerful words of God. Did you know that the phrase translated "almighty God" in scripture, in the original language actually means "God of angel armies"? The God of angel armies goes before us, leads those armies in battles on our behalf, and tells us not to worry about a thing!


A good friend of mine underwent very serious brain surgery yesterday. The words of the doctors leading up to the surgery were not encouraging. The tumor was large; it was located in a very dangerous place; they advised her to get her affairs in order, maybe go do something she had always wanted to do. But this woman of God had such complete trust in the love and care of her Savior that she had no fears, no doubts, no regrets. Not because she believed that because God loved her she would not have to go through it, or even that because He loved her he would see that she came through the way she wanted to... She was at peace because she fully trusted that, whatever the outcome, He was in control, His ways are perfect and beyond our understanding, and He has a plan which includes ALL the details of her life.


The doctors and nurses were all astounded at her level of peace, even as the time got closer and closer, and even as they came to wheel her down the hall into surgery.


She did come out of the surgery fine. The tumor appears to be benign. "Coincidentally" there were no blood vessels or arteries feeding the tumor. "Coincidentally" there was a sheath between the tumor and the nerves in that part of her brain, so there was no nerve damage. She is now in recovery and we continue to pray for her and her husband and four young children. 


God is in control. And who, by their worry, can add one hour to their life? Isn't it better to allow the God who created the universe to be in control in our lives. Now He has the power to do what needs to be done ~ not you, not I ~ He alone has that power. And He loves you and offers you perfect peace.

No comments: