Monday, October 6, 2008

Out of Abundance

I know I keep using quotes from John Eldredge, but he has so many good things to say! Here, then, is a quote that arrived in my email this morning.

If then you are wise, you will show yourself rather as a reservoir than as a canal. A canal spreads abroad water as it receives it, but a reservoir waits until it is filled before overflowing, and thus without loss to itself [it shares] its superabundant water. (Bernard of Clairvuex)

A beautiful picture. The canal runs dry so quickly, shortly after the rains subside. Like a dry streambed in the desert. But a reservoir is a vast and deep reserve of life. We are called to live in a way that we store up reserves in our heart, and 
then offer from a place of abundance. As Jesus said, “Therefore every teacher of the law who has been instructed about the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old” (Matt 13:52). I’m thinking, Storeroom? What storeroom? “The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart…for out of the overflow of his heart, his mouth speaks” (Luke 6:45 emphasis added). 


I think we get burned out when we don't spend enough time re-charging on God's word. Sometimes I think we feel like we are being selfish when we say no when we are asked to take on some "good" thing at church or helping out a friend. But we can't do everything ~ we just can't. I don't know if we have to be spending more time getting filled up with the Word than giving out of the abundance, but we do have to be full before we can give. Otherwise, we are no real good to anyone, and whatever we endeavor to do we are trying to do in our own strength and wisdom ~ how effective can that really be?

God is so very good, and He has so much to give to us. He is so willing to pour Himself into us when we spend time in His presence. I have been trying to make this more of a priority in my life. I need to fill that storeroom every single day, often more than once a day. But I can get so busy doing, that sometimes I let this "priority" take second place to other, less critical things. Even good things can get in the way of God's best in our lives.

Just some of my thoughts this morning. Be sure to let me know what you think.

No comments: