Monday, October 20, 2008

God is Amazing!

I continue to watch my little granddaughter grow and change. It is the most amazing thing, as a grandmother. I know I marveled at our sons as they grew as well, but there is a difference with a grandchild. I feel more at peace and able to REALLY see her (and Him) in the process. I don't know if that peace comes from not having to stress as the decision maker when she has a runny nose or fever, or if it comes from maturing in the Lord, or the perspective you gain with age, or because God has healed so many of my wounds over the years that I can see all things more clearly without the filter of my soul-pain. It is probably a combination of all of the above. But I can only say, "WOW! God is truly amazing!"

God has been continuously impressing Phil. 4:8 on my mind and heart lately. It must be very important to Him that we focus our minds on all the things listed in this verse of scripture. Important to Him, because it is important to us, only we don't realize it. Someone hurt my feelings a couple weeks ago (not that it was the first time nor the last), and it was so tempting to think negative thoughts, reminding myself of all the times they had hurt me in the past or even things I had seen them do to others which had nothing to do with me, but God brought this scripture to me. At first I thought, "But I can't think of any good things about this person to focus on." And then He reminded me that the verse doesn't say anything about thinking good things about a person or even our circumstances. "Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable..." As I thought about those words, what came to mind is God Himself, and His Word. After all, what is "true"? What is "noble, right, pure..."? God is the only one who fits that description completely. So... instead of focusing on the person (even any good traits they might have) or the circumstances (trying to find the "silver lining" in a bad situation), I decided to get my eyes off all that entirely and focus on my awesome Savior, Almighty God (ruler of angel armies!), various scriptures that came to mind, His many blessings, etc.... And TADA! My whole being seemed to change, almost glow, with His presence and His peace and His Spirit. And that was so much better than thinking about earthly things, let me tell you.

I hope this encourages someone today. God bless.

By God's oh-so-amazing Grace,
Rewritten Princess

No comments: